Peridot, the August birthstone, is a valuable light green gemstone from the mineral olivine. It's been revered by humans since as early as 1500 b.c. and is known for happiness, good fortune, and light. Here are some interesting reasons why you might want to add it to your gemstone jewelry collection:
1. Peridot comes from outer space and volcanoes
Most gemstones are formed in the Earth's crust (the surface layer). Peridot is unique in that it forms in the Earth's mantle deep below the surface, or it comes from space so it is only accessible if volcanoes or meteorites bring them to the surface first.
2. Peridot is one of the few gems to come in a single color
The name comes from "Peritot" meaning gold in French. The stone comes only in shades of green that are so light and reflective that they almost lean towards shimmers of gold at times, giving it a royal elegance.
3. Peridot is still radiant at night
It sparkles and glows with such brilliances that it is often still visibly radiant at night, giving it the reputation of a sunshine stone.
4. The royal and wealthy of many ancient cultures adorned their possessions in peridot
It's been mentioned countless times in historical texts and seen in the designs of powerful European and Egyptian empires, amongst others. It's even debated that the famous Egyptian queen Cleopatra was covered in dark peridot rather than emeralds.
5. It's said to help you have a good night's sleep
Anything that gives restful sleep is priceless these days, and throughout history peridot has been seen as a useful aid for this. This makes our simple peridot necklace the perfect way to get this effect as Kindness Gems jewelry is dainty but durable so you can wear it while you sleep!
Who to gift Peridot to:
- Birthmonth: Anyone born in August
- Astrology: People with the Leo (7/23-8/22) and Virgo (8/23-9/22) zodiac sign
- Anniversary: A gift to symbolize the 16th year of marriage